A history of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew
By Jim Goodson
The Episcopal Church’s oldest ministry is also one of its most effective. The Brotherhood of St. Andrew has been bringing men and young men to Jesus Christ for 133 years since its founding on the cold, wintry day of Nov. 30, 1883, at St. James’ Episcopal Church in downtown Chicago. Homeless men were sleeping on the city’s downtown streets – and it was these men the fledgling Brotherhood wanted to save.
Today, the Brotherhood of St. Andrew is a worldwide ministry with chapters in Africa, Japan, the Philippines, Great Britain, Canada, Haiti and the United States. Its 4,192 members in 357 U.S. chapters perform a myriad of ministries, from building and operating a medical mission ship to sponsoring homes for women and children-in-need. Brothers are quick to respond with both manpower and money during national emergencies, such as Hurricane Sandy in 2012 and during the deadly year of 2013, when an explosion devastated the town of West, Texas, a tornado levelled Moore, Oklahoma and a tsunami struck northern Japan. “But we have lasted so long because men like to get together for support, to offer service projects – and for fellowship.”
There are three disciplines Brothers follow: prayer, study and service.
We invite you join the Brotherhood of St. Andrew. For more information, please contact the Church Office.